Sunday, January 29, 2012

Communion

Today was the first day in a long, long time that I took communion and didn't flench.

Having served in church leadership in the past, one of my responsibilities was facilitating communion. Which meant, I heard every complaint, negative feedback given, and demands made. For so long I resented corporate communion because it was never done to meet everyone's expectations. If we used the pre - packaged material - we were being sacrilegious, we had it too often, or not often enough, didn't use wine, etc.

I got the point where I put up a wall. It was too big of an issue for some people. I looked down on those people too. And determined that I was better off. I knew better. I was full of a religious spirit.

Unfortunately, what I didn't realize until today is that it IS a BIG ISSUE. Please don't hear me say I am justifying or agreeing with those who have VERY demanding views of the way communion should be handled. But, when we take communion....the act, however facilitated, is done in the remembrance of Jesus.

"Do this in remembrance of Me."

I was angry at those people who were so wrapped up in the way that it was given that they lost sight of WHY we participate in it.

But, I have a confession to make. I am no different than they are. I got so wrapped up in the hooplah of trying to please everyone that I lost sight of WHY I participate in it.

I remembered today. And for the first time in a long time, I remembered HIM. HIS sacrifice, HIS death, HIS life. And it felt good.

Matthew 26:26-30

26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying,“Take and eat; this is my body.”

27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[b] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.


No comments:

Post a Comment