Sunday, January 29, 2012

Love

It's interesting to watch my parents now. For so many years, my Mom was the one who kept the house running and clothes clean and dinner ready. But, in her latter years, she simply can't/won't. Dad is the housekeeper, chef, laundry do-er and health care provider. I often hear my brothers talking about how it's got to 'suck' to take care of Mom and how much patience He has to have. And, I'll admit.....I've been tempted to say the same thing.

It's sweet to watch Dad. But, I am also reminded of all the many, many years he was absent from the home - working. You see, my Dad was a workaholic. And in those years it was Mom who made sure my science project was done, that I had clean underwear, and my belly was full. She came to class plays, had bible studies with me, and took me to school. And I was one of 3 kids.

One of my favorite movies is Sweet Home Alabama. I don't agree with moving to a new city and finding a new man....but, I do agree with the point the movie makes. Marriage / Love is a living organism that is forever changing. And when done right, is a STRONG bond that can endure more than we give it credit for.

Marriages Ebb and Flow. At some point in the marriage one partner gives 150% while the other gives only 50%. Very rarely does both members give 100%. We would be wise to hold judgements about peoples marriages from snapshots we see at any given time......

Dad is carrying the marriage now. He's honoring her and his covenant before God. But, I would be foolish to think that all those years she invested in being the best Mom to me she could aren't important. The sum of my Mom's life is more than her latter years. And there were many years, she carried the marriage and honored Him and her covenant before God.

Love is strong. And out of all the Mom's in the world, I am glad God gave me Norma Jean. And I cherish the time I have with her. Flaws and all.






No comments:

Post a Comment